create a vacuum
• His sudden departure created a vacuum at the head of the company.
leave a vacuum
• The disappearance of religious beliefs has left a vacuum in many people's lives.
fill a vacuum
• What political ideas have filled the vacuum left by the fall of communism?
ADJECTIVES/NOUN + vacuum
a power vacuum
• The leader's sudden death created a power vacuum.
a political vacuum
• Military leaders stepped in to fill the political vacuum.
a moral vacuum
(= a lack of moral standards )
• Many children are growing up in a moral vacuum.
a policy vacuum
• There is a policy vacuum on climate change.
noun ADJ. perfect | moral, political, spiritual The writer criticized the moral vacuum in society. | power Her resignation left a power vacuum in the government. VERB + VACUUM create, leave, produce The machine then creates a vacuum. | fill Other gases rush in to fill the vacuum.
Oxford Collocations Dictionary